woensdag 11 juli 2012

I Am a Legal Alien, I Am an European in New York

Het was begin september 2003.  Mijn grote droom was in vervulling gegaan.  Ik was in New York City.  Ik herinnerde me de avonden alleen op mijn kamer terwijl ik luisterde naar New York, New York van Frank Sinatra op een oude lampenradio - ik ben een geboren nostalgist - en heimelijk droomde van mijn eerste wandeling door de straten van 'The Big Apple'.  New York leek me dé plaats waar alles mogelijk was en ik geloofde in de woorden : 'If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere.' 

Ik werd met het drammende geluid van de airconditioning wakker, zette de televisie aan en hoorde : 'Today, at Rockefeller Plaza, Miss Bette Midler.'  Ik was onmiddellijk klaarwakker en riep tegen mijn reisgezel : 'Kijk.  Bette Midler zingt in de straten van New York.  We moeten ernaar toe.'  Het was echter moeilijk om mijn enthousiasme over te brengen aan mijn medereiziger die dubbel over de WC-bril hing om een vette bagel met smeerkaas kwijt te raken.  Voor we de deur uitgingen, braakte de televisie niet onopgemerkt de volgende woorden uit : 'Tomorrow morning, for NBC studios at Rockefeller Plaza : Sting.'

Mijn reisgenoot was overtuigd dat zo'n beroemdheden niet gratis voor jan en alleman - en zeker niet in New York - stonden te zingen.  De volgende dag sleurde ik hem dus ietwat tegen zijn zin vanaf ons hotel aan de voet van de indrukwekkende Queensboro Bridge door 59th Street, over Fifth Avenue naar Rockefeller Plaza.
Hoe dichter we bij Rockefeller Plaza kwamen, hoe duidelijker we de song 'Send Your Love ' te horen kregen.  'Zie je wel, zie je wel !' zei ik triomferend.

We veroverden een plaatsje een tiental meters van het podium en werden mee opgenomen in het uitzonderlijke decor van duizelingwekkende wolkenkrabbers en een enorme billboard met de tekst : 'Money can't work hard if the person behind it doesn't.'  Ik vroeg me af voor wie deze billboard nu eigenlijk bedoeld was : voor het publiek of voor de artiest ?
Na 'Send Your Love' bracht Sting het gevoelige 'Every Breath You Take'.  Terwijl ik rondom me keek naar het publiek die borden met het hoopvolle woord 'Shalom' vasthielden en ik hoog boven mij de wolkenkrabbers zag toren, was ik werkelijk ontroerd.  Ik kon mijn geluk niet op.  De tranen vloeiden over mijn wangen en na een tijdje zag ik hoe de NBC-camera voor mij hing en inzoomde.  Ik stond daar als aan de grond genageld, mijn kwetsbare moment tentoongespreid voor de ogen van iedereen.

Dat waren waarschijnlijk mijn 'fifteen seconds of fame' in NYC.  Later die dag had ik steeds het gevoel dat iedereen naar mij staarde.  Dit was een raar gevoel in een stad waar mensen gewoonlijk vermijden je aan te kijken.  Misschien keken ze alleen maar naar een zonderlinge vrouw wandelend in de straten van New York.

Als herinnering aan een wonderbaarlijke dag in het opwindende New York verwijs  ik hier naar het prachtige Fragile gebracht door het verrukkelijke combo Sting en Stevie Wonder. Op YouTube te vinden.


Fragile - Sting

If blood will flow when flesh and steel are one
Drying in the colour of the evening sun
Tomorrow's rain will wash the stains away
But something in our minds will always stay
Perhaps this final act was meant
To clinch a lifetime's argument
That nothing comes from violence and nothing ever could
For all those born beneath an angry star
Lest we forget how fragile we are

On and on the rain will fall
Like tears from a star like tears from a star
On and on the rain will say
How fragile we are how fragile we are
On and on the rain will fall
Like tears from a star like tears from a star
On and on the rain will say
How fragile we are how fragile we are




It was the beginning of september 2003.  I saw my big dream realized.  I was in New York City.  I recalled the evenings alone in my room listening to New York, New York by Frank Sinatra on my old lamp radio - I am born a nostalgist - and secretly dreaming of my first stroll on the streets of 'The Big Apple.'  New York seemed to me the place to be, the place where everything was possible and I believed in the lyrics : 'If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere.'

I woke up hearing the nagging sound of the air conditioning, put on the television and heard : 'Today, at Rockefeller Plaza, Miss Bette Midler.'  I immediately was wide awake and yelled to my travelling companion : 'Look.  Bette Midler is singing on the streets of New York.  We have to go there.'  However, it was quite difficult to convey my enthousiasm to my travelling companion who was hanging over the toilet seat trying to lose a greasy bagel with cream cheese.  But before we went out the door I didn't miss the television saying : 'Tomorrow morning, for NBC studios at Rockefeller Plaza : Sting.'

My fellow companion was convinced that such celebrities wouldn't sing for every one to hear and certainly not in New York.  

So the next day I dragged him from our hotel at the foot of the impressive Queensboro Bridge, along 59th Street, crossing Fifth Avenue to Rockefeller Plaza.  The closer we got to Rockefeller Plaza, the more clearly we could hear the song 'Send Your Love'.  'You see, you see !' I said triumphantly.
We conquered a spot about ten meters from the stage and were submerged by the mind blowing setting of huge skycrapers and an enormous billboard saying : 'Money can't work hard if the person behind it doesn't.'  I wondered who this billboard was for : the crowd or the artist ? 
Following 'Send Your Love' Sting sung the sensitive 'Every Breath You Take'.  Watching people holding a billboard with the hopeful word 'Shalom' written on it and seeing the skycrapers high above my head I was really moved.  I couldn't believe my luck.  Tears poured down my face and a little while later I could see the NBC-camera appearing in front of me and zooming in.  I stood there nailed to the ground, while my fragile moment was exposed, for everybody to see. 

I guess that were my 'fifteen seconds of fame' in NYC.  Later that day I kept on having this feeling that everybody stared at me.  This was a weird feeling to have in a city where people usually avoid to look at you.  Maybe they were only looking at a peculiar woman walking the streets of New York.

As a memory of an amazing day in electrifying New York I refer to  the beautiful Fragile brought by the divine combo Sting and Stevie Wonder. You can find it on YouTube.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten